Patience.

by - July 13, 2015


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 
أسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته 




Patience. 

Sabr (صبر ) is easy to type. And pronounce. 

But try implementing it. Try living by it. I once heard someone said, "I've reached my patience".  I wondered for days later. The phrase kept replaying in the back of my mind. Subconsciously, my mind responds. 

One night, I had a dream. It might be a nightmare to some but I figured it's a sign for me. I dreamt that I failed a test that I worked so hard on. On top of it, I went home just to find out that my husband remarries another girl. Later, I was thrown out from the house we're living in. With remarks that I will never produce any offspring. I was devastated, shattered and numb. But I felt strange for myself when I realised I wasn't crying. In the dream, I was holding onto something. It was invisible, but it pulled me higher above all clouds and stars. I reached somewhere unknown, hanging onto nothing while floating. I felt peace and calm. I never feel anything like it before. The feeling doesn't last long before I finally woke up from my dream. I had this dream a while back but I remembered everything vividly.

Months passed by, and variety recurring form of dreams later, it got me thinking. Does patience really has a limit? How would you set a limit for something so subjective? How did you define sadness then? Gratitude? Happiness? 

The truth is, patience has no limit. Imagine patience is the sky. Look up at the sky. What lies behind those beautiful blue hues? No one knows. It's infinite. We have to be patience as long, as hard as we could. Thus why, the reward for patience is huge, unbearable for the logical human to think of. 

Imaam Ahmad narrated; "Allah SWT has mentioned patience 90 times in the Quran."

From the Quran; 

Patience is made a condition of success and prosperity.
'O you who believe, persevere and endure and remain stationed and fear Allah that you may be successful' [Surah Al 'Imran 3:200]

Patience is rewarded infinitely by Allah.
'...Indeed, the patient will be given their reward without account.' [Surah Az-Zumar 39:10]

Patience is the way to earn the companionship of Allah.
'...and be patient. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.' [Surah Al-Anfal 8:46]

Allah give His blessings, mercy and guidance to those who are patience.
'...but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere - who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return" - they are those on whom [descend] blessings from their Lord, and Mercy and they are the ones that receive guidance' [Surah Al-Baqarah 2:155-7]

Allah forgives and reward those who are patient tremendously.
'Except for those who are patient and do righteous deeds; those will have forgiveness and great reward' [Surah Hud 11:11]

There are so many hadith from Rasulullah SAW regarding patience too. 

Narrated Aisha r.a;
I asked Allah's Apostle about a plague. He said: "That was a mean of torture which Allah used to send upon whomsoever He wished, but He made it a source of mercy for the believers, for anyone who is residing in a town which this disease is present, and remains there and does not leave that town, but has patience and hopes for Allah's reward, and knows that nothing will befall him except what Allah has written for him, then he will get such reward as that of a martyr." Sahih Bukhari - Book 7 Hadith 616

Narrated Ana bin Malik r.a; 
I heard Allah's Apostle saying: "Allah said, If I deprive my slave of my two beloved things (i.e his eyes) and he remains patient, I will let him enter Paradise in compensation for them." Sahih Bukhari - Book 70 Hadith 557

Narrated Anas r.a;
Rasulullah SAW said: "The real patience is a the first stroke of a calamity." Sahih Bukhari - Book 23 Hadith 389

I could go on typing more hadith and Quran excerpts regarding patience as they are too many. It's clear how patience is one of the righteous act to commit by default. So be patience, be as patient as you could.

I know people constantly challenging our patience, whether intentionally or not. However we have been promised the great reward in return if we commit. To waste such promise is even worse. There are too many rewards we had wasted. Let's not waste another, shall we?

JazakAllahu Khayr. 



Reference: 

The Complete Forty Hadith : Third Revised Edition, Imam an-Nawawi.

My Hadith of the Day: Patience, An Ultimate Aspiration




You May Also Like

0 comments

anisraihana. Powered by Blogger.