Discover Down Under [ Part 1 : Melbourne & The Great Ocean Road ]

by - March 17, 2016

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 
اسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته


Alas, the long awaited Down Under posts. 


Colourful beach huts on our 3rd day in Melbourne before checking in our flight to Christchurch, New Zealand. 

It was rather a prompt decision. I was still in the UK when my husband told me that his father wanted to join our little adventure to Down Under. I was fine with it, but travelling with elderly means more rigid preparation and less cramp schedule. And we have limited time frame. But hey, here to adventures!

Total duration spent in Melbourne was only 3 days and 2 nights. 

Tips : 
  • Prior to departure, everyone visiting Australia has to apply for the Australia Electronic Travel Authority System online HERE to ensure smooth arrival. 

Day 1 - Arrival & Queen Victoria Market

Upon arrival, we went straight away for our rental car service. It was pre-booked online via VroomVroomVroom AU. The easy thing is, it allows you to choose any pick up/return location you like.


After settling some fees, we set off to our first destination. The Queen Victoria Market. As the name suggest, it is a market. Wet and dry market. You could find fruits, vegetables, meat & poultry as well as fish to clothes there. In my opinion, the price was a little bit overpriced. It might be due to it's becoming a tourist attraction. Unfortunately, because we were so beaten up, there were no photos taken at The Queen Victoria Market. We did not spent too long there as elderly tend to be a little bit cranky after an 8-hour overnight flight. We went straight away for our Airbnb apartment. 

Our apartment was a very lovely 2-bedroom studio apartment. It was small but it was also large enough to fit 5 adult comfortably. However untimely, the apartment is no longer listed in Airbnb. I have no clue to as why it isn't anymore since the review received was superb.

We slept for a good few hours before deciding to head over the St. Kilda Pier for some sunset views. 


That is 4 of them there. My brother in-law, my husband, mother & father-law. Looking for something in the water I don't know what. That sunset is beautiful though! 

Tips :

  • Parking in Aussie is expensive and most of them requires payment by credit/debit card. No cash option available. 

So, being in quite a few different developed countries for the past year has taught me one thing. Their tap water should be extra, triple, superbly clean. That night, I had a drink from their tap water. Because, hey, it's a developed country kan? Water supply should be squeaky clean.  

I was wrong.

It was the first time in my life ever, to experience the worst of food (or water) poisoning. Ever. I was vomiting my stomach out. Each session lasted almost a minute before another wave came. On top of that, diarrhoea hits too. It was ugly. I know. Reminiscing it is making me want to cry.

I really did not have the heart to wake up my husband at the time. He was exhausted. But really, I thought I was dying. So I had to woke him up. I didn't know what to do anymore. He made me had some diarrhoea meds and paracetamol. Even then, I vomited it all out. After a good 4 hours of agony, the condition ceased by itself and I finally fell asleep. 

NOTE : DON'T DRINK DIRECTLY FROM THEIR TAP. EVER. 

Day 2 - The Great Ocean Road 

My husband and I was beaten up. My whole body felt like jelly. Weak and vulnerable. I did not have anything for breakfast. But the adventure has to continue. 

We went out along The Great Ocean Road. We stopped by the small towns along the coastal route. The view was unbelievable masyaAllah. 

Tips :

Some of the tourists spots along The Great Ocean Road are ;

  • Anglesea
  • Memorial Arch
  • Kennet River (Home of wild Koalas) - you could actually pet one here. And there are wild but pet-able weird looking birds too! 
  • Apollo Bay
  • Otway Rainforest (Home to the largest tree species in the world)
  • The Twelve Apostles
  • Lord Ard Gorge
  • The Gibson Steps


By lunchtime, we arrived at Apollo Bay. We ate some of our pre-packed meals. I ate some too. Little did I know, my vomiting episode haven't ended. I vomited it all out again. So, yes. I was miserable for the whole time along The Great Ocean Road. Haha. 


Panoramic view of Gibson steps, the shipwreck and Lord Ard Gorge.
However upon the end of the day, it all went away. I was too mesmerised by the beauty of nature that I forgot it all. My personal favourite during our trip that day was definitely The Twelve Apostles and Lord Ard Gorge. 


The Twelve Apostles. So pretty masyaAllah. I love this too much! 
What is here not to love? 


Day 3 - Checking in for our flight to Christchurch

We had nothing much to do on our third day except having lunch by the beach near our apartment, and head to the airport. We had a flight to catch that night to Christchurch, New Zealand. 

Till next time. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

anisraihana. Powered by Blogger.